Travel Guides

Requirements for Local Travel: Where and How to Get

Various sectors, including the tourism industry, have been trying to slowly get back to its feet after struggling for several months in 2020. The lifting of the Enhanced Community Quarantine that entails the opening of more establishments and provinces for visitors consequently seemed to invite people to step out of their homes. Even leisure travels are low-key allowed in some areas. Though going out has been partly allowed, people still need passes to do so. With that, here are the requirements for local travel in the new normal especially during the GCQ with tips on how and where to get them.

RT-PCR or Swab Test Result

Good news! You can get tested for as low as Php 750.00 to Php 900.00 at UP-PGH or the Philippine General Hospital and the PCMC or the Philippine Children’s Medical Center in Manila! The Department of Tourism through the Tourism Promotions Board partnered with this testing facility providers to make domestic travel more accessible and affordable for everyone. Take note that you can only use this test result for domestic travels only. Below is the process that you should follow to avail the 50% discount in the RT-PCR test:

  1. Register and apply at
  2. Fill in the online form.
  3. Attach copies of the following: two (2) valid Government-issued ID’s, roundtrip transportation tickets (air/ferry/bus) and proof of confirmed DOT-accredited hotel booking. Take note that they do not accept AirBnB bookings.
  4. Wait for the approval of your application through your registered email address together with the Client Investigation Form that you need to accomplish.
  5. Wait for the notification regarding the approval of your Client Investigation form. If approved, this will come with schedule and instructions regarding the swab test.

Health Clearance or Medical Certificate

  1. Go to your Barangay Health Center.
  2. Request for a health certification. Take note that they may ask about your past activities and some health-related questions. Some would even ask for a result of rapid or swab test prior to the release of the certification. More often than not, they ask for the purpose for requesting.
  3. Then, proceed to the City or Municipal Health Center or Hospital.
  4. Lastly, request for a health/medical certification. The health certification from the Barangay Hall or Health Center is a requirement.

1. LGUs issue the Health Certification to those who are 21 years old and above only.
2. The health certification is not for long-term use.
3. If crossing the provincial or regional borders for work, a different health clearance is required.
4. Any alterations on the certification makes it invalid.

Travel Authority

  1. Go to your Municipal or City Police Station.
  2. Then, request for Travel Authority. Bring your rapid or swab test result/ municipal or city health center-issued health certificate and valid ID’s.
  3. Finally, wait for the notification from the office as regards the release of your requested Travel Authority.

Take note that the Municipal or City police stations release Travel Authority to those who would travel from a province to another but within the region only. Supervisors or officers in a higher position are the ones who can only provide Travel Authority that can be used outside the region. Further, the Philippine National Police releases Travel Authority originally to LSI or Locally-Stranded Individuals and those with medical and family emergencies to attend to. Thus, there could be instances where LGU would deny the Travel Authority at the borders especially if the purpose is not essential.

Other Requirements for Local Travel

Travel Pass

  1. Go to your Barangay Hall. Ask for the requirement for Travel Pass.
  2. Then, proceed to your Municipal or City Hall. They will be the ones to release the actual Travel pass. Make sure that you bring valid ID’s and prepare to answer questions as regards your purpose for traveling.

Take note that a Quarantine pass cannot be used as a substitute for a Travel Pass. A Quarantine Pass could be used within your Barangay or town. On the other hand, the Travel pass allows us to travel from a town or province to another. Travel pass, though, is not a major requirement in areas under GCQ.

Valid ID’s

Some personnel in checkpoints ask for valid ID’s as they check the passes with it as well. With that, might as well keep all your passes, clearance and ID’s in a bag that is within your reach.

Health Declaration Form

Health declaration forms are available in the places that you’ll visit. You must accomplish it before entering an establishment. For your safety, always bring with you a pen that you may use in accomplishing it. On the other hand, some establishments would only provide or would also make available QR codes at the entrance. These QR codes would direct you to online health declaration forms. Hence, data connection is necessary.

Few Reminders

We should bear in mind that just because a lot of people have started going out, it doesn’t mean that it’s okay for the rest of us to do it, too. Though some towns and provinces have opened its doors for visitors, the IATF, together with some LGUs, still warns us about the risks in leisure and non-essential travels. Thus, doing so is like traveling at your own risk. Remember, COVID-19 still sits around the corner, waiting for its next victim.

If we could not really stop ourselves from going out, then, the best thing that we can do is to be highly cautious. We can do this by strictly following the health protocols.

You might also want to read: The New Normal for Travelers

Parting Words

The requirements for local travel mentioned are generally what the people at the checkpoints are usually looking for. You might also want to check the public advisory of your destination’s Local Government Unit for the specific list as some intend to add a few.

Be informed. Always make it a habit to watch the news for important announcements about traveling or check on reliable and credible sources for such. You may also want to go through the guidelines of the Inter-Agency Task Force for the Management of Emerging Infectious Diseases or IATF regarding the implementation of the community quarantine in the Philippines.

Help us improve this article by letting us know about your province’s requirements for local travel not mentioned in here!

Anne Elizabeth Gumiran, also known as Queenie, is a 20-something, full-time public school teacher, a part-time travel blogger and a freediver. She started putting her stories of adventures and misadventures into words and pictures in 2017 and continues to do so as she shares her advocacy, Sustainable Traveling.


Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *