I have always dreamed about walking down the streets between whitewashed walls with blue dome roofs one day in my life in this Greek island that I don’t even have to name as everyone knows about it. I’ve fancied standing on a terrace overlooking the crystal-clear ocean with the sky melting into golden hues before me. I was manifesting all of it as I do the exact same thing in this Greek-Mediterranean-inspired hotel and resort somewhere in northern Luzon in the Philippines. Thunderbird Resorts Poro Point gave me the closest feel of one of my dream getaways but with a less significant price tag.
About Thunderbird Resorts Poro Point
Thunderbird Resorts & Casinos Poro Point is one of the only few upscale hotel and resorts in the region. It is nestled atop a scenic cliff in San Fernando City, La Union that opens up to the vastness of the West Philippine Sea. It offers panoramic views with a gorgeous sunset, a range of top-notch facilities and amenities for guests and Grecian dining, too! This luxurious hotel and resort named after a mythical creature lives up to its name as people share through their word of mouth and social media about its beauty and the comfort that they have experienced during their stay.
Our Thunderbird Resort Poro Point Experience
After our fun trek and refreshing dip at Tangadan falls, we headed back to our hotel and checked out as we were all excited for our next destination. Before we headed back home, we dropped by San Fernando City to visit this sought-after Santorini-inspired resort.
It’s indeed a stunner. The familiar design and architecture welcomed us. Its tall, white-washed buildings with blue dome roofs and arched doorways, wide patios and terraces and villas were like Santorini postcards coming to life.
Since we only had very limited time, we then walked around to explore, take photos and make the most out of our quick visit. Among the best facilities that visitors for a day can enjoy is their pool overlooking the ocean. It’s one of the most relaxing and Instagram-worthy spot in the resort. It was one cloudy afternoon when we came and it was perfect for walking. Some of us walked further to check and take photos at the beach.
What I also looked forward to seeing at Thunderbird Resort Poro Point is the replica of Los Angeles County Museum of Art’s (LACMA) Urban Lights. It’s situated outside the main building, across the parking lot and we already saw the congregation of the towering lampposts even before we arrived at the hotel lobby. Luckily, we had the spot all to ourselves and we took a lot of pictures. It’s lovely as it is at daytime and I can only imagine how romantic it can get as it gets lit in the evening.
How to Get There
Commute from Manila
- From Pasay or Cubao, take a bus bound for Abra, Laoag or Vigan. You may choose from Partas, Florida, Genesis, Dominion, Parta or Viron bus liners. The trip may take six to seven hours with fare ranging from Php 400.00 to Php 530.00 depending on the bus class type. Tell the driver/ conductor that you’re getting of San Fernando, La Union. Alight at the City Hall or City Plaza.
- From the drop off point. take a tricycle going to Gov. Luna St. or Gov. Ortega St.
- Then, take a jeep going to Thunderbird inside Poro Point Special Economic and Freeport Zone. You may also opt to take a tricycle straight to Thunderbird Resort but this may cost a lot.
Private Car from Manila
- Exit Balintawak and take North Luzon Expressway (NLEX), Subic Clark Tarlac Expressway (SCTEX) and Tarlac-Pangasinan-La Union Expressway (TPLEX).
- Exit TPLEX and turn left going to La Union.
- Drive through the towns of Rosario, Sto. Tomas, Agoo, Aringay, Caba, Bauang.
- Head to San Fernando and turn left at soldier’s monument (about 150 – 200 meters after Ilocos Training and Regional Medical Center).
- Enter the main gate of Poro Point Management Corporation (PPMC) (about 2-3 km from soldier’s monument).
- Enter main gate of PPMC and turn right.
- Turn left to the gate of THUNDERBIRD RESORTS & CASINOS PORO POINT.
Thunderbird Resorts Poro Point Day Trip Rates
Their regular Day Trip rate ranges from Php 1,500.00 to Php 2,000.00 with free use of swimming pool from 8:00 AM to 5:00 PM and consumable food and beverage worth Php 500.00 to Php 1,000.00.
For the overnight stays, check here: Check rates and book here
For inquiries and bookings, you may reach Thunderbird Resorts Poro Point at:
Is visiting Thunderbird Resort Poro Point for a day worth it? It will be if you’ll stay longer; perhaps, a whole day or more! In this way, you’d be able to explore this expansive Santorini-inspired resort more at the same time, lounge around to relax. You may want to think twice if you’ll only visit the place as a side trip where you’ll stay for only an hour or two since its day trip fee could be really expensive.
Visiting the resort for a day could already give you a glimpse of how is it like to have a Greek-Mediterranean getaway but in the Philippines. It will then make you wonder how good would it be to spend a day or more in this place.
Exploring more of North Luzon other than La Union? Check out these travel guides!
- North Luzon Loop Road Trip Travel Guide 2023
- Top Places to Visit in Sagada, Mountain Province
- 2023 DIY ILOCOS NORTE TRAVEL GUIDE
- Calvary Hills Iguig Cagayan 2023 Travel Guide
- Baler DIY Travel Guide 2023 (Places to Visit + Itinerary)
- ISABELA PROVINCE TRAVEL GUIDE 2023
- 2023 Travel Guide to Buscalan Village, Tinglayan, Kalinga with Ifugao side trip
- Landingan Viewpoint, Nagtipunan, Quirino Province DIY Travel Guide
- Callao Cave: Travel Guide to the Spelunking Paradise of the North